What is Independent Living?
The Independent Living option is designed for those senior individuals or couples who seek to maintain the independent and active lifestyle they’re used to, but who appreciate the supportive amenities provided by this level of retirement living.
Independent Living, also known as Retirement Living, is the ideal choice for those who no longer wish to engage in home maintenance, yard work, shopping for and preparing meals, cleaning the house, etc., and are instead seeking new experiences and the opportunity to socialize with others.
Most seniors who choose Independent Living are not in need of assistance with personal care, although it is usually possible to receive personal care if and when it is needed by hiring a caregiver privately or by arrangement with the community. There are rental and entry fee communities (also known as Continuing Care Retirement Communities) and this distinction should be considered carefully when making the decision to move to Independent Living.
While every community is different, the Independent Living lifestyle typically includes the following amenities:
- Private apartment – Usually studios, one- and sometimes two-bedroom apartments are available with kitchenettes or full kitchens and private bathrooms with senior-friendly features
- Chef-prepared meals – One to three meals daily most commonly with restaurant-style dining, wait staff, some dietary accommodations
- Scheduled transportation – Provided for trips to shopping, activities and events, doctor’s appointments in a community mini-bus and/or luxury car
- Activities, events and entertainment – Scheduled monthly within and outside the community usually including exercise classes, cultural, educational, spiritual, creative arts activities, entertainment
- Opportunities to socialize and engage with others
- Concierge services
- Laundry Service
- Security and Emergency Response System
- Utilities – including individual temperature controls for comfort
- Phone, cable and internet service
- Fitness center, art studio, salon, computer room, library, private dining room for family gatherings may be offered